Multi-Zone thermostats are getting a lot of popularity in recent years. This is because these devices can help you create different temperature zones throughout your home. You can have a cooler living room while a warm bedroom all at the same time!
Most of these units come with a mobile-based application that lets you control these different temperature zones very conveniently and the best thing is, you can do this from anywhere around the world.
So, if you are looking for a multi-zone smart thermostat that will work perfectly for your living space, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss numerous models and what makes each one unique. This will be followed by a buyer’s guide and an FAQ section so that when you leave this page; you know exactly what to look for and where to find it.
Reviews of the Best Multi-Zone Smart Thermostats
1. Honeywell Home’s Lyric T9 Smart Thermostat – Best Overall
Honeywell Home’s Lyric T9 Smart Thermostat is the best model out there in the market. It has precise sensor signal, ideal multi-zone control, auto home/away schedule, smart alerts and response, and easy installation. Given all these amazing features, we think it deserves 4.5 stars out of 5 for sure.
- The unit can manage the temperature perfectly in any particular room; whether it is your bedroom, kitchen, or bathroom. It will allow you to get the comfiest sleep at night. It comes with smart room sensors that will automatically pinpoint the rooms that are more used and it will try to focus more on those and give them the optimal temperature 24/7.
- The sensor range is immaculate. The Sensors features an efficient Honeywell Home Technology that delivers correct and precise signal for almost 200 feet range. So, you do not have to cocoon in that single room that has the perfect temperature, the T9 sensors will have it all. The dimensions of the sensors are 2.6 x 2.6 x 0.77 inches and it requires 24 volts of power.
- You can control every feature of the thermostat using your mobile device. It is common to forget to set the temperature before coming home from a tiresome and busy day at the office. Although, if this happens, you will still be welcomed in a comfortable house. The unit has an auto home/away scheduling which makes the unit automatically adjust the temperature by reacting to your set scheduling.
- The smart alerts give you information about everything happening with the thermostat. It also sends you a notification about when it is time to change the filter.
- Last but not the least; it has a very easy installation. The power adapter is a low voltage unit that serves as the perfect alternative to a c-wire so the unit is compatible with almost all types of HVAC systems.
2. Honeywell Home’s T5 Smart Thermostat – Best Budget Option
With voice control, remote accessibility, a 7-day schedule, geo-fencing, smart notifications, and auto changeover and adaptive recovery feature, the Honeywell Home’s T5 Smart Thermostat is the best budget option. It showcases an assortment of the most amazing features that are difficult to get at a cheaper price. Considering all these things, we will give it 4 stars out of 5. We subtracted a star because the thermostat will not work without a c-wire.
- The unit allows you to set a schedule for seven consecutive days. This means, all you have to do is set the plan once and the thermostat will follow those commands for an entire week without requiring any interference from your side! If you want to change the schedule after the week comes to an end or during it, you can do that too.
- We were impressed by how accurate the geofencing feature is! The unit correctly detects your location and acts accordingly. If it notices that you are on your way home, it will turn on the thermostat and reach the temperature you have set before you open the door to your house.
- The auto changeover and adaptive recovery are the best two features of this particular unit. Both of these work to determine the right temperature for your place so that you can get the optimal comfort. It automatically can manage the temperature and make it reach the desired range much more quickly.
- The smart alerts give you notifications regarding even the minute changes in the thermostat. Thus whether it’s temperature warnings or filter changes, you will always get them on time.
- The device is compatible with most of the single-stage and multistage heat pump and conventional heating and cooling systems.
3. Google’s Nest 3rd Gen Learning Thermostat – Best Value
Available in Copper, Stainless Steel, Black and White colors, Google’s Nest 3rd Generation learning thermostat is a beauty –not only because of the warm and sophisticated look it gives but also because of its array of outstanding features. That is why Google’s Nest 3rd Generation Learning Thermostat deserves.
- After a couple of manual adjustments, the thermostat can learn your schedule and habits and ensure that it focuses more on the room you tend to use frequently. This allows it to save energy as well.
- The unit comes in four different warm and elegant colors to choose from. It also has a visible and easily readable display that displays all of the important data in large digits. It also has a feature called farsight which lights up the display screen so that you can easily see the temperature, time, or weather even if you are sitting on the other side of the room.
- If you are home and something happens to the unit, the Nest Secure uses your smart light bulbs to get your attention! Furthermore, if you have a smart washer or dryer, they can take information from the thermostat and function only when the energy demand is low.
- The temperature controller helps to maintain the ideal temperature in the room the sensors are set. You can prioritize the rooms accordingly and the unit will keep its temperature optimally.
4. Ecobee’s Smart Thermostat – Most Convenient
The Ecobee’s Smart Thermostat is one of the most convenient multi-zone products that you can purchase. It has smart and away features while detects movement in rooms and adjusts the temperature accordingly. The smart sensor keeps your house as comfortable as possible while the remote accessibility allows you to keep an eye on everything that is happening at all times.
- The Smart and Away feature detects the movements in each room and then automatically adjusts the temperature in each room accordingly so that you get the best temperature in each room. This also indicates that it helps to save time as it keeps the temperature low in rooms you barely use.
- It comes with a smart sensor so that your home can be as comfortable and relaxing as you wish it was. The sensor helps in occupancy detection and keeps the most important room like your living room, office, or bedroom in optimal condition all the time.
- With remote accessibility, you will be able to control and manage the device even from your office. This is extremely helpful as you can just set the temperature on your way home and when you will reach home, you will be greeted with a perfectly chilly or cozy home.
- With smart features, the unit can learn your schedule and adapt to it accordingly. So even if you forget to manually change the schedule, it can manage it on its own.
5. Honeywell Home’s Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat – Easiest to use
Honeywell Home’s Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is one of the easiest units to use. With a large and bright display screen, weather screen, two mobile applications, voice assistant, and monthly usage reports, you will be able to keep track of the device and its functions at all times.
- The display screen is bright, visible. You can easily navigate through the menu and settings by using the touch screen. The response of the screen is flawless! It gives the required option only a few microseconds after you have touched it.
- With the weather screen, you can check the daily forecast and indoor/outdoor humidity to set the schedule for that particular day.
- The official mobile applications are called the ‘Total Connect Comfort’ and the ‘Honeywell home’. Both these apps work precisely to let you set and manage your thermostat from anywhere and at any time.
- You can also change the temperature without unlocking your phone or getting up from your couch. Just use any voice assistant; Amazon Alexa, Microsoft Cortana, Google Assistant, or any other and easily get things done from the comfort of your couch.
- You will also get energy reports monthly so that you can track how much energy your HVAC system is using. Furthermore, it also gives you tips and tricks so that you can make your energy use more optimal.
6. Mysa’s Smart Thermostat – Most compact
Ratings: 3.5 out of 5
If you are looking for a small, reliable, accurate smart thermostat with an elegant design, then Mysa’s Smart thermostat will be the best for you. It is easy to install and has several modes to help you manage the device effectively. After evaluating everything, we decided to give it 3.5 stars. We deducted 1.5 stars because of its limited compatibility.
- It is compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and Apple Homekit. So you can be in your bed and command the thermostat to raise the temperature by a degree without even having to open your eyes or move your body.
- It has a comprehensive guide and step-by-step tutorial videos that you can easily access online. These help immensely and you will be able to install the device within 15 minutes or even less!
- It has lockout and vacationing mode. Both ensure that you solely have ownership of the device and only you can control it even if you are halfway across the world. Furthermore, the geolocation feature detects movements and functions accordingly. So, if the house is empty, it will automatically shut down to save energy.
- The thermostat works perfectly with all types of electric baseboards as well as electric fan-forced heaters.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Thermostat
Though these devices may easily fit into our pockets and be held in our palms, they do possesses several features that can either make it the finest smart thermostat that you have ever gotten or the most awful. So how do you distinguish between these features? What to prefer and what not to prefer? Read below and find out!
The setup of your existing HVAC system and the thermostat
The initial thing to assess while buying a smart thermostat is the kind of HVAC system it supports and if it requires a c-wire for its operation or not.
1. Heating, Ventilating, And Cooling (HVAC) System
The kind of HVAC system will predominantly control the unit you will purchase. While some models support multi-stage systems, others support only single-stage systems.
One of the main difficulties that you will face while buying a smart thermostat will be the type of power source it acquires. Many units require more power than a pair of batteries can give. So you cannot use power batteries. However, they also cannot be connected to a power source as that will most certainly overheat or overload the device. So how does this small unit get its energy?
Through the HVAC system! The c-wire or the common wire is a small wire which is connected to the system. It provides the thermostat all the voltage it requires to function properly.
You might also come across some thermostat models that have an r-wire (power wire). This type of wire uses a secondary source to provide the device with the energy it needs. However, r-wires are less efficient than c-wires –It can also cause permanent damage to the HVAC system.
So before mounting a thermostat, look at the wiring your existing thermostat has. If you cannot locate a c-wire, you should get one installed before buying a smart thermostat. It will make your job much easier.
These days, thermostats come in diverse shapes and dimensions. Some possess an LED screen that has buttons on either side, while others include a huge display touch screen. Though this is an individual inclination, you might want to check out the size, visibility, and touch/button response of the display.
You need to ask yourself several questions -Can you effortlessly read all that the screen displays? Is it discernible? Does it possess a night-mode? How responsive and how easy it is to use the buttons on the unit?
One of the chief reasons why people have started to switch from their ancient manual thermostats to the innovative smart thermostats is the freedom; the freedom to control the device from anywhere and at any time! All you need is a smartphone that has installed the brand’s official mobile application. That is it.
So while making a decision, check out if the unit can be easily controlled. You can judge this by whether it has mobile accessibility, automatic features, and if it can be managed using Siri, Alexa, or other virtual assistants.
However, different models support different types of operating systems so make sure to read the user manual to find out if the device you have chosen can work with your phone or not.
Some thermostats come with a comprehensive and easy to understand user manual while others do not. Some even come with labeled wires so you know where each of them goes. Make sure that you read the instructions and user’s experiences to get a picture of how easy or complex the set-up process is.
Though, if you do struggle with the installation process, you can always call a professional right away and have them set it up for you. Make this call if you do not mind spending money after-purchase.
Advantages of Multi-Zone Smart Thermostats
Multi-Zone temperature control helps to create different heating and cooling conditions in each room or level of your house. Following are some of the reasons for buying multi-zone smart thermostats:
- It gives you all of the control of your house’s HVAC system.
- The multi-zone thermostat takes into account the different temperature preferences that each of the residents has.
- It can help you save a lot of dollars off the utility bill. This is possible because the device can maintain high temperatures in the rooms you frequently use and low temperature in the ones you barely use.
- This type of thermostat is a very convenient way of keeping the temperatures optimal in your place even if you are away.
- It gives you flexibility over the temperature.
- A multi-zone is easy to use.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can one thermostat control multiple zones?
This majorly depends upon the type of HVAC system you have at home. Old traditional zone HVAC systems may require you to install more than one thermostat (depending upon the number of zones you want to create).
Although, if you have a smart home system, you can easily use a single thermostat to control different heating and cooling zones throughout your entire house. Although, you will need smart sensors for each zone.
2. Do I need two smart thermostats?
If your house has more than one story and has a separate HVAC system on each of the levels, then yes, you might need two or more thermostats (depending on the number of HVAC systems).
If you only have a single HVAC system, then add sensors. These will help you control each of the levels ideally.
3. Do I need 2 Nest thermostats for 2 zones?
Yes, you will need two Nest thermostats for two different zones. Nest thermostats can be operated in conjunction with different zoned HVAC systems. However, you will need different Nest Thermostats throughout your place.
Smart thermostats do a lot more than just keeping the temperature at your home in check. They make your life much easier by letting you control the entire heating and cooling system by using your voice or your mobile. It helps to save your energy, time, and also money.
We liked the < Honeywell Home’s Lyric T9 Smart Thermostat the best because of its several useful properties like perfect multi-zone control, accurate sensor signal, auto home/away schedule, smart alerts and response, and easy installation. It is everything good compressed into a small palm-sized device!
We also liked Honeywell Home’s T5 Smart Thermostat just as much if not more for its low price and the countless benefits it offers! You can access the device using your voice or your phone. It also features a 7-day schedule, geo-fencing, automatic changeover and adaptive recovery, and smart notifications. It is the best low-budget option you will get in the market these days.
Make sure that you check out the set-up, compatibility, and design before buying a certain product. The aspects we mentioned above in the buyers’ guide were handpicked after talking to many happy users as well as popular articles. So, we are certain they will prove fruitful for you too.
Good luck on your search hunt!