If you are looking to smarten up your home, a smart thermostat for landlords is a good place to start. A smart thermostat will help reduce cooling and heating costs.
This will help keep the energy costs in check. The device will enable you to program the home’s cooling and heating system automatically when you are away or asleep.
ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Room Sensor and Built-In Alexa
It is a smart thermostat with built-in Alexa and room sensor. It will help save 23% annually on the cooling and heating costs.
Ecobee4 is our choice as the best smart thermostat available in the market. The thermostat is powered by innovative technology. In terms of features, it offers the best value for money.
Google, T3007ES, Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Gen, Smart Thermostat, Stainless Steel, Works With Alexa
It is a smart thermostat that delivers big with its elegant design and learning capabilities. This thermostat is a good upgrade option.
The auto-scheduling features make it a popular choice. The third-generation Nest model works with many smart home devices.
Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Touchscreen Color Display, Works with Alexa, Energy Star Certified
It is an energy certified smart thermostat and will help you save on the HVAC costs. It is easy to setup and is compatible with other smart devices.
The solid performance of this thermostat makes the Emerson Sensi Touch our value option choice.
Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, 7 Day Programmable, Touch Screen, Energy Star, Alexa Ready
It is an economical alternative option. Honeywell Home is perfect for someone on a budget. The highly efficient smart thermostat works automatically and saves on energy (heating and cooling) bills.
When it comes to buying a smart thermostat for landlords there are plenty of options available. This can be overwhelming for any person buying smart thermostats for the first time.
We have spent many hours researching different sources of information. This has helped us come up with this useful buying guide.
Things to Consider When Buying A Smart Thermostat for Landlords
A smart thermostat should be easy to install. The manufacturer should provide an easy to understand step-by-step guide of the installation process.
The comprehensive illustrations and photographs should guide you through the process.
The thermostat wires should be color coded and indicate which wires go where. This will enable you to connect the thermostat wires to the ones coming out of the wall when you remove the old model.
Smart thermostats require more electrical power than what a normal set of batteries provide. They will not require more power if they are directly plugged into the wall.
A dedicated C-wire will help the thermostat work in an efficient manner.
When you remove an existing thermostat to install a smart model, you should check if there is a C wire connected to it. If you don’t find a C wire, it is best to get one installed. All thermostat manufacturers recommend that you use a C wire.
Remote access will enable you to control the thermostat from anywhere. You will be able to check in and adjust the heating and cooling temperature easily. All that you need is an internet connection.
This feature makes use of the smartphone GPS and thermostat app to establish a well-defined perimeter around your home. When you leave the perimeter, it means you longer need to cool or heat your home.
The thermostat will adjust the temperature and ensure that it doesn’t work unnecessarily.
When you enter the perimeter again, the HVAC system will start working. This will ensure your home is comfortable when you walk inside the door.
Proximity and motion sensors feature helps to determine if the home is occupied and whether it is in need of climate control. There are some smart thermostats that make use of window and door sensors in addition to motion sensors to enhance the security of your home.
The proximity sensors on the smart thermostats will trigger the display to turn on when you walk past it. This makes the display screen a great feature on its own.
High Voltage Heater Support
Smart thermostats are designed to work well with central HVAC systems. If heating of the home is done using a high-voltage heater, you will need a thermostat that is designed to handle it.
The thermostat you select should support multi-stage air-conditioning, ventilation, and heating systems. If the home is divided into separate heating and cooling zones, you will need one thermostat for each zone.
You will be able to use a single app to control the multiple zones.
Smart Home System Integration
All smart thermostats are equipped with an app. This will help you control the thermostat with your tablet or smartphone. The best thermostat models can be integrated with other smart home devices.
You will be able to adjust the temperature using voice command applications like Alexa and Google Assistant.
Benefits of Smart Thermostats
Lower Energy Bills
Smart thermostats monitor different zones of your home and auto schedule the temperature of each room. This will help use energy in an efficient manner.
Depending on usage, most landlords will be able to save 15% on cooling bills and 10% – 12% on heating bills.
You will be able to program schedules for cooling and heating using a smart thermostat. There are some models that learn your specific preferences and program the schedule to suit your lifestyle.
The models with auto scheduling features use local weather patterns, your habits and your response to certain questions to create a program schedule. These thermostat models work well when they use usage reports to see how much energy you are using.
Service Alerts and Reminders
Most smart thermostats will send alerts and reminders so that you can perform basic maintenance. You will get an alert to change air filters in the cooling system. If there is a problem with the HVAC system, you will get a reminder to get it fixed.
Mobile apps enable you to use the voice activation home system, smartphone, tablet, and computer to control the smart thermostat. It is easy to program and read the new models.
Best Smart Thermostats for Landlords
The Ecobee4 is best placed in rooms where you spend a lot of time. One sensor is included in the box. You can buy more if you want. This will help keep the temperature balanced throughout your home.
Measuring both temperature and occupancy, the sensors signal the thermostat to automatically switch to the right mode for comfort.
- Built-in Alexa enables you to control the thermostat using your voice. You will be able to adjust the temperature, set a timer and do much more.
- The highly detailed installation guide and an in-app step by step walkthrough makes the Ecobee4 easy to install. Everything you need for an installation is available in the box including a power extender kit. This is useful for homes with no common wire.
- The thermostat can be controlled from anywhere using your Android or iOS (Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone) device.
- The smart thermostat supports IFTTT. This enables it to work with many smart home devices including Google Assistant and Siri (Apple Home Kit).
- The HomeIQ feature delivers a report of the HVAC’s runtime each month. This will help you figure how the HVAC is functioning.
- The middling audio quality is a letdown.
- The product is relatively expensive.
The third-generation Nest Learning Thermostat with an easy to read display not just makes your home smart but also energy efficient. All that is needed are a few manual adjustments and the Nest Thermostat will learn your habits. It automatically adjusts the temperature and helps save money.
- The Farsight is a new feature of the Nest Learning Thermostat. The feature helps light up the display, so that you can see the temperature, time, and weather. You can choose an analog or digital clock face. The display is bright and big and you will be able to see it across the room.
- The thermostat is available in four amazing colors. White, Black, Stainless steel, and Copper are colors that look great in homes.
- The range is up to 50 feet away from the thermostat. The range will vary depending on the construction of your home, wireless interference, and other similar factors.
- Nest devices keep you safe and secure. The Nest devices not just communicate with each other but with other smart devices too. Nest Secure will use the smart bulbs to get your attention in an emergency. Similarly, the smart washer and dryer will take data from Nest and run the device when energy demand is low.
- The thermostat lacks remote room sensors.
- It is priced on the higher side.
The Emerson Sensi Touch thermostat works with Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant. Use a quick voice command to adjust the temperature. The touchscreen interface is easy to use and responsive. You will get an alert when extreme humidity or temperature changes occur.
- The step by step in-app instructions make installation easy. The simple installation process can be completed in less than 30 minutes.
- The smart thermostat is compatible with Alexa, Apple Home Kit, Google Assistant, and Wink smart home applications.
- The flexible scheduling feature allows you to program a schedule for every day of the week. You can choose to program the schedule to fit your lifestyle.
- The circulating fan improves indoor air quality by regulating temperature. This prevents buildup of mold and other particles.
- The thermostat goes into sleep mode quickly.
- Requires C-wire for all installations.
- Outside weather data is not displayed on the screen.
- Usage reports are not available.
Honeywell smart thermostat is the perfect choice for anyone on a budget. The energy certified thermostat can be adjusted to the energy company’s peak rate pricing or your pre-programmed schedule.
You will be able to program temporary, permanent or vacation settings and this will enable you to save even when you are away.
- The smart color thermostat enables you to receive intelligent alerts, notifications, and reminders. Receive humidifier pad change reminder, loss of internet connection or internet connection restored notification, high and low temperature notification, and air filter change reminder.
- The touchscreen display can be set to match the home décor. You can choose language preferences and color schemes too.
- The smart response technology feature determines if your home needs cooling or heating for maximum comfort.
- No humidity or motion detection.
- No IFTTT support.
- Usage reports are not available.
- The thermostat has limited features compared to other expensive models.
A smart thermostat for landlords is an ideal choice if you want to save on energy bills and control your home’s heating and cooling remotely. By intelligently managing the cooling and heating, you will be able to save energy and money.
“ecobee4 Smart Thermostat” is our top recommendation when it comes to a smart thermostat for landlords. “Nest (T3007ES) Thermostat” is a good upgrade option. “Emerson Sensi Touch Smart Thermostat” is a good value option. “Honeywell Home Thermostat (RTH9585WF1004)” is one of the best smart thermostats for landlords on a budget.