When you are trying to build an off-grid lifestyle, certain modern-day comforts just can’t be compromised. The importance of hot water, especially if you are a part of a cold region, is irreplaceable. In an off-grid situation, access to hot water was a challenge overcome by numerous hot water heater choices available in the market.
An electric water heater might not be the best and most feasible choice as it consumes a lot of electricity. Although an off-grid water heater can replace it, various things need to be considered when opting for one.
Off-grid water heaters methodology
At the heart of going off-grid is to be free from municipal sources. It allows the user to save money that you would otherwise have to pay with utility bills. An off-grid water heater can be used with certain natural commodities: heat, gas, and water.
The three sources primarily used to heat water are energy (from the sun), gas (propane), and burning wood.
What are the top off grid water heaters in 2021?
There are a lot of choices available in the market. However, we have compiled a list of some of the best options that you can find. Here are some of the best off-grid water heaters that you can get.
1. Camplux Pro On-Demand Tankless Water Heater – Best overall
The Camplux tankless water heater is one of the best choices that you can find in the market. Apart from its functionality that is not less than any water heater, it’s designed to sustain all the weather conditions, which provide its user with the benefit of durability and resilience.
- The appliance is an advanced 6.86 GPM propane gas water tanker that provides high capacity and delivers up to 6.86 gallons of water each minute. It means that the heater can provide continuous hot water for three to four persons in showers and kitchens.
- In terms of safety, the product excels in the demand. It is a CSA certified product with a flame failure device and anti-freezing protection. Furthermore, it has an anti-cheating protection feature integrated as well that confirms your safety. The water heater initiates automatically once the temperature goes lower than 5℃ (40℉).
- The water heater allows the user to save both money and energy.
- The maximum power output that it can provide is around 180,000btu/hour. Its activities with a leading energy factor of 0.82 for propane gas with an average of 9.5ppm ensure environmental protection.
- The water tanker is convenient and can easily be installed within minutes. Additionally, it comes with 24 shift hours customer services that look after all the queries and demands.
2. Camplux Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater – Most resistant
The Camplux water heater can provide the required amount of hot water within minutes, thus eliminating the time and effort involved. It is a product that uses propane gas to function and is designed to provide maximum benefit, convenience, and resilience.
- Output with digital temperature display: – The appliance is designed to produce 4.22 gallons of hot water per minutes, and it has a digital temperature display as well that provides further convenience
- Safety features: – The Camplux water heat has several safety features like anti-freezing protection, flame failure device, and overheating protection, which confirm its safety.
- Design: – The Camplux tankless water heater has a simple design that ensures the maximization of output. Its output structure provides it with a thermal efficiency of 88.5%, so you can instantly get hot water regardless of where you are.
- Max power output:- The maximum power output of the Camplux water heater is 110,000btu/hour, which ensures that you have hot water available at your disposal wherever you are
- Certification: – The product has a CSA certified has regular along with a high-quality water hose made with rubber plastic.
3. Marey GA10LP Water Heater – Budget option
The Marey GA10LP Water Heater is a portable unit designed to meet the user’s demand for hot water. It provides an endless flow of hot water and also allows you to save up to 60% on electricity bills that would have been spent on the bills.
- High capacity:- The water heater provides up to 10L water storage at 3.1 GPM of propane gas
- Design:- It has a compact design that allows the user to save space and additionally offers easy installation
- Completely off-grid option: – it doesn’t require an electrical connection, which makes it an ideal choice for off-grid usage.
- Instant hot water supply: – The unit takes a few minutes to provide hot water. You won’t have to wait for hours before you can use it.
- Warranty:- It comes with a five-year warranty
- Temperature regulations: – The Marey GA10LP is a water heater that offers control for regulating the temperature. Thus, the user can adjust it accordingly.
4. Eccotemp i12-LP water heater – Best Value
Eccotemp i12-LP water heater is an appliance that provides functionality and a chic appearance wherever it is installed. Its front panel is created with sleek black tempered glass, and it has an LED display that displays the flow rate and output temperature. It is rated at 4 GPM, and a key benefit of it is that you don’t have to activate it manually as it does so automatically.
- Design:- Beautiful and compact design which allows it to be installed anywhere
- Automatic controls: – It features entirely intuitive temperature controls that allow the user to regulate its temperature. Furthermore, it has an energy-saving mode with a child lock that further enhances its functionality.
- Output range: – The hot water usually ranges from 0.6 to 4.8 gallons each minute. The minimum rate of has required is 25,000 to 80,000 BTUs
- Energy–efficiency: – It is a very energy-efficient option that doesn’t require a pilot light. It also draws only 2 watts when it’s not being used since they are used for ignition and to provide digital temperature readings
5. Rinnai Indoor Tankless Hot Water Heater – Best extra features
Ratings: 4.5 out of 5
The Rinnai indoor hot water heater is an appliance that comes with a very compact design, and it’s made with the best quality material. Ideally, the heater is designed for small to medium houses, and it is one of the most highly-efficient choices in the category. Its compact dimensions allow it to be installed anywhere inside the home without occupying a lot of space. There are various features that the water heater has to offer, which makes it a choice that many choices can’t replace.
- Flow rate: – The water heater can deliver a flow rate of 7.5 gallons per minute of hot water. However, the heater might not be the most effective choice in colder regions where the flow rate might decrease, and the heater might be able to provide water for lesser appliances
- App powered: – The V75iP has an app that makes it a lot more convenient to schedule heating times during the day. Additionally, it can also be placed on a holiday mode, which allows the user to save fuel money.
- Warranty:- It comes with a ten-year warranty on the heat exchanger along with a year of labor coverage and a five-year warranty on the parts
- Temperature: – The water temperature can vary. It can be adjusted to a maximum of 120 degrees, which is ideal for a shower.
6. Duda Solar 200 Liter Water Heater Active Split – Best Value
If propane water heaters aren’t your thing, then you can choose a solar-powered water heater, and the Duda Solar 200 liter water heater is an impeccable choice. The appliance is high quality and reliable, made with high-grade stainless steel, and is designed to deliver maximum performance. The water heater is an excellent choice, particularly for cold regions, as it’s water-resistant. It only utilizes one copper heat exchanger coil located close to the tank’s upper area, which allows it to heat the water used as the cold water remains at the bottom.
- Capacity:- It comes in various sizes; however, the 200-liter water heater is considered the ideal choice
- Expansion tank: – It contains an 8-liter expansion tank, which prevents failures within the system that might arise because of stagnation.
- Installation: – The solar-powered water heater contains twenty 14mm solar tubes with a 45-degree stand that can be replaced for a 37 degree stand if you want to mount it in another direction.
- Active Sunbank system:-It contains up to 2 gallons of propylene glycol that are food-grade inhibited.
7. Sunbank 40 Gallons solar water heater – Budget option
The Sunbank 40 gallons solar water heater is a device without frills integrated systems, and it is one that can be installed easily. Furthermore, its easy maintenance is another advantage for the user. It is a passive water heating unit that is an excellent choice for small house owners in mild climate areas that receive plenty of sunlight. Although it might not be as efficient as an active system, it’s still an excellent choice for areas with comparatively lower requirements.
- Capacity:- The ability of the water heater is around 40 gallons, which is ideal for small and medium-sized families
- Construction: – The tank is made with durable stainless steel. It has high-density polyurethane insulation, which is ideal for heat retention
- Passive Sunbank system: – It has a passive Sunbank system, which means that it doesn’t need glycol heating fluids, pumps, or similar moving parts, making installation more convenient.
- Pressurized water moving mechanism: – The system doesn’t contain pumps, so it instead relies upon municipal pressure for moving the water. The cold water is pushed inside the hot water tank, making the hot water to the faucet when it’s turned on.
8. Eccotemp L10 3.0 GPM Portable Outdoor Tankless Water Heater – Easiest to carry
The Eccotemp L10 is a certified and portable water heater designed to provide accessibility and benefits to the users. Its lightweight, compact, and easy to carry design has made it choose thousands of satisfied users for small hot water requirements. The unit has ideal size for camping and using it on an RV when on a picnic trip.
- Design: – The water heater is designed to provide portability. Its lightweight allows it to be used for camping and during hunting.
- Function: – It operates on the standard 20 lb. The water heater uses propane as fuel and also has electronic ignition. The ignition can be provided by 2 “D” cell batteries, making it ideal for trips. It can also be paired with a 12v water pump, which will give the user a supply of hot water even during the most remote areas.
- Customer service:- The product comes with an excellent and highly responsive product service that will assist in solving all sorts of problems related to the product
- Water flow: – The water heater is rated at 3.0 GPM, and the L10 can provide hot water with a pressure of 20PSI, and the achievable temperature settings can vary from 50-140 degrees F.
- Adjustable controls: – The L10 allows the user to adjust gas and water flow to obtain the desired temperature. It is another benefit that ensures complete control of the user over the unit
9. Noritz NRC66DVLP Indoor Hot Water Heater– Best Value
If you are searching for a compact water heating unit that can provide high efficiency and convenience, then the Noritz NRC66DVLP Indoor Hot Water Heater can be the ideal choice. The tankless water heater is an entirely condensing heater comprising an advanced heat exchanger and an integral controller.
- Design: – The water heater has a highly durable and compact construction that allows it to be easily installed.
- Function: – In terms of functionality, the NRC66DVLP contains a remote thermostat along with a 6′ power cord. It provides high efficiency along with a low Nox. It can provide up to 6.5 gallons of hot water per minute, which makes it one of the best choices in the category
- Flow rate: – The water heater’s flow rate is 6.5gpm, which is higher than various other models in the category.
- Energy-saving: – The water heater is designed to maximize energy saving. Therefore, the user will have an endless supply of hot water available at disposal at the least possible costs.
Off-grid hot water heaters come in various sizes, functionality, capacity, shape, and design. Although numerous products can be found in the market capable of delivering impeccable performance, it’s important to note that if the buyer isn’t aware of what it wants, it’s impossible to get the best product.
The ideal way to select a product that would prove to be a value for the money is to create a preference list and write down all the product’s expectations.
The following are some of the features that will allow you to reach a better decision:-
Type of off grid hot water heater
The first thing that needs to be noticed is what type of off-grid water heater you would prefer. There are various options available, like some products powered by propane while others use solar energy. Some smaller choices like the Eccotemp L10 3.0 GPM Portable Outdoor Tankless Water Heater use propane and have batteries incorporated to run specific features.
So, the starting point of the buyer should be to choose a product accordingly.
Hot water requirements
The water requirements are another thing that needs to be carefully considered as they rarely remain the same among users. Certain products like the Camplux Pro On-Demand Tankless Water Heater provide enough water for a few people. Simultaneously, others like the Duda Solar 200 Liter Water Heater Active Split can fulfill higher requirements.
Additionally, individual water heaters like Noritz NRC66DVLP Indoor Hot Water Heater and Eccotemp L10 3.0 GPM Portable Outdoor Tankless Water Heater provide the user with a portability advantage, which can’t be replaced however they lack in the hot water capacity that they can provide.
Advantage and disadvantage of buying a solar powered off grid water heater
Solar-powered off-grid water heaters tend to be bigger, which means that they provide added capacity. Ideally, a standard sized unit would be enough to satisfy 2 to 3 people’s hot water requirements. Additionally, they also are a one-time investment as the user won’t have to use fuel or pay the electricity bills; it just needs to be installed at a place with constant sunlight. It will provide you with the necessary water supply.
The most significant disadvantage is for the people who don’t see a lot of sunlight; thus, in such areas, and a solar unit might not be the best choice.
Advantages and disadvantages of propane-powered water heater
There are various advantages of a propane-powered water heater. It is usually in a smaller size, which makes its maintenance a lot easier. Furthermore, it has added features like Rinnai Indoor Tankless Hot Water Heater, which comes with added features.
The disadvantage of these water heaters is that they require gas inflow. For areas with freezing temperatures, specific water heater models tend to be less effective, so it’s a feature that needs to be remembered before opting for one.
The best choice among the two types of off-grid water heaters would fall on the buyer. If it finds that a solar-powered water heater is an ideal choice considering its requirements, such a product will bring the most value.
Q1:- Does it save money to turn off the hot water heater?
Most off-grid hot water heaters don’t use electricity and instead rely on other means to function. However, if you have heaters that use propane, then turning it off would save up many fuel costs. Furthermore, in solar-powered water heaters, continuous and pointless running might reduce the product’s longevity, so it’s best to turn it off when away.
Q2:- Can I bypass my water heater?
It’s possible to bypass a hot water heater without removing it by installation a pair of bypass valves. The user would have to insert a pipe between the cold and hot water pipes attached to the heater. It would allow the water from the cold-water feed to be pushed directly to the hot-water line without it arriving into the water heater.
Q3:-Do water heaters have to be off the ground?
Ideally, a water heater powered by propane is recommended to be at least 18 inches off the ground. It protects against any potential spillage of a flammable substance close to the heater, resulting in an explosion.
Q4:- Is it better to rent or own a hot water heater?
Whether you should buy or rent a hot water heater is a matter of choice. If you need one for a trip or a short duration, then it’s better to rent a unit instead of having one permanently. However, for more continuous use, it’s better to invest in a reliable option.